- This is an invitation only flash fiction contest.
- Cash prizes.
- Every stories receives in-depth feedback.
- Each submission costs $30.
- FULL DETAILS BELOW.
Testimonials from Participants
You found the perfect way to run a contest! I got the thrill of entering. (I literally couldn’t sleep the night before because I didn’t want to miss the submission window.) And, of course, I had to deal with the sadness of rejection. BUT, the feedback was so thorough! I never expected line edits and detailed suggestions. I feel like I got as much from this as from taking a semester class.Kait
You know what? This feedback alone was worth my entry fee. Thanks so much! I’ll be back for the next contest too (whenever that is). Count on it. Thanks so much!J. David Thayer
Feedback from Eric Scot Tryon on my story was fantastic. Helpful for me in knowing where to go with this story and how to write better stories moving forward. You will see more pieces from me.
Thank you for responding to all of my emails. Flash Fiction Magazine has me hooked.Patti
Thanks for your excellent comments on my story. I wasn’t expecting such a thorough—or helpful—review, but I’m delighted to have your suggestions.Ann Russell
Join the Waiting List
If you want to participate in the next contest, you must sign up for the waiting list to get an invite. We will not advertise the contest publicly.
Please read the contest guidelines below before signing up.
- Every story will receive feedback including:
- Strengths: The editor will identify where the story is strongest and most effective.
- Weaknesses: The editor will address elements of the story that could be stronger.
- Revision Suggestions: The editor will provide suggestions for revision and editing.
- Rejection Reason: If the story is rejected, the editor will provide a reason.
- Readers of the Authors Only List will get first chance to submit before we make the contest public. Due to high demand, we do not anticipate the need to go public.
- Word count should be between 300-1000 words.
- All stories will be considered for publication in Flash Fiction Magazine unless you indicate otherwise.
- You are allowed multiple submissions.
- All decisions regarding the winners are final.
- No contest entry fees will be returned.
- By submitting, you are agreeing to all contest rules.
- Entry fee = $30 per story.
- 1st Prize = $500, publication on the website, and consideration for our next anthology.
- 2nd Prize = $300, publication on the website, and consideration for our next anthology.
- 3rd Prize = $200, publication on the website, and consideration for our next anthology.
What do we accept?
- We accept fiction stories between 300–1000 words.
- No previously published work. Google does not like duplicate content. Please don’t publish your story anywhere else on the web, including your own website.
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed. Let our editors know if your story is accepted elsewhere.
- We do not accept poetry.
- We do not accept children’s fiction.
- We do not accept erotica. Adult themes including sex, violence, and even politics are fair game.
- We don’t need any more stories about the writing process. We have a huge audience of readers who are not authors. Don’t alienate them.
- We don’t want to get into rights issues, so no living public figures as characters, fan-fiction involving proprietary characters (Batman, etc.), and song lyrics. Passing references to all of these are fine.
Do I retain my rights?
- You retain all rights to your work. However, we kindly ask that you not publish your story online—including your own website. This is not a “rights” issue, Google does not like duplicate content.